On January 23, 2013 the agreement for cooperation was officially signed between Nansen Dialogue Centre Skopje and the Municipality of Tetovo in order to include the Nansen Model for integrated education in the primary school Bratstvo Migeni in Tetovo Municipality.
Upon the official approval from the municipal authorities and parents, the next step was the selection of teachers that will implement the integrated extracurricular activities. The Team for education, training and development within NDC Skopje in partnership with the school expert services made a selection of teachers that will be responsible for the implementation of the Annual programs for integrated extracurricular activities. The selected teachers attended the basic training cycle for integrated education within the NDC Skopje Training Centre.
The project Nansen model for integrated education in the Tetovo municipality was officially launched on October 27, 2014 and it includes students, teachers and parents from the Macedonian and Albanian ethnic community.
The regular teaching process and the extracurricular activities
In the schools that apply the NMIE the regular teaching process is carried out completely according to the National Curriculum, i.e. according to the annual programs drafted by the Bureau for development of education of R. of Macedonia whereas the annual programs for integrated extracurricular activities are prepared by the Nansen Dialogue Centre Skopje. The Annual programs for integrated extracurricular activities are closely correlated with the National curriculum.
The regular teaching process is carried out in the respective native language of the students from different ethnic communities, whereas the integrated extracurricular activities are carried out bilingually using the paraphrasing approach for ethically mixed groups.
The integrated extracurricular activities and the NMIE itself have many specifics, but also new innovations for the Macedonian educational system, which represents a very important step towards the promotion of the modern educational tendencies.
- Correlation of extracurricular content with National curriculum,
- Bilingual approach with paraphrasing,
- Team and tandem cooperation between the teachers,
- Using the game method during the activities
The annual programs for extracurricular activities drafted by NDC Skopje are implemented through a variety of sections for subject teaching for primary school:
- Me and the others
- Music section
- Ethno section
- Peace and tolerance
- Art Section
- Eco section
The main goals of the integrated extracurricular activities are:
- To deepen the constructive cooperation relations between students from different ethnic communities,
- To develop sense among the students about respecting mutual differences,
- To overcome the stereotypes and prejudices, related to their ethnic, religious and cultural origin,
- To resolve conflict situations in the group,
- To develop a positive emotional climate in the group with heterogeneous ethnic structure, in order to maintain a high index of group cohesion,
- To expand the active vocabulary of the students with terms and cultural and social phrases from the non-native language,
- To strengthen the interaction, cooperation and confidence between the teachers munities,
- To develop the talents and abilities of the students in accordance with their individual potentials,
- To support the curiosity and originality of the students, as well as their creative potentials,
- To develop the logical, flexible, divergent and critical thinking of the students.